Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Questioning her feminism...

I went to Fiercely Feminist today. I found a post she wrote where she explores the contradictions of feminism namely the gap between her theory and her lived experience. I won't get into whether I agreed with everything she wrote because, frankly, that's not the point. She's running an internal diagnostic, doing (self)critique, ruminating on her choices. Thinking hard and deeply is ALWAYS a good thing.

Unpacking Feminism

an excerpt...

"applying to graduate school made me do a lot of reflective thinking about the work that i've done while i've been an undergrad. most of my research has revolved around the margins, the places untouched and vehemently dismissed at times by the theory and activism that for so long i have identified as being a part of. there are times when i read feminist theory and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth because it encapsulates the problematic baggage i take issue with. and there are other times i read pieces, and i say to myself "yes! this is what i've been thinking and saying for so long now." i wonder if the reason i am interested in what i am interested in is because of my own life experiences. its so difficult to completely abandon identity politics as a means of theorizing, as many issues and problems i have with it, because so much of my unpleasant experiences have revolved around my identities. i've felt the sting of marginalization from queers because i am a bisexual femme, from lesbians who doubt my politics because i fuck men, from many queers because i refuse to buy a rainbow flag, or because i dislike the emphasis on the marriage movement, from other class privilaged feminists who refuse to take into account their class status when theorizing about oppression, who leave working class women behind in the trenches. i've felt the sting as much from communities i am supposedly supposed to be able to align myself with as the forces of white supremacist heteropatriarchy they say we are against."

Now, I want to find a (pregnant) mama who fiddles with her own existential innards and the politics of pregnancy and birth while changing diapers, breastfeeding, homeschooling, co-sleeping and changing pee-pee sheets.

Searching...searching...searching...

No comments: